Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Flew an Airplane

Drunk.

Well, kind of.

A few weeks back we booked some cheap flying lessons cause (a) i love flying, & (b) korea's liability laws are lacking. Due to boring and complicated scheduling issues, I was going to have to do the lessons Sunday morning in Daejon after meeting Joyce for a reunion in Daegu. Not wanting to cut my time with Joyce short in Daegu, I ended up heading to Daejon to fly the airplane on a bus right after partying all night. I was cold, tired, and hung-drunk. By the time Kory and Mike picked me up at the terminal, I was disoriented, out of cell phone battery AND minutes, and had needed to buy a newspaper to stand in for toilet paper in the worst bathroom I've ever seen. I hopped in the Ddongchim, and we were one step closer to flying. After following some schiesty directions, we arrived at the airstrip, to find as like to call her, the Silver Bullet. Then there was our Sky Captain from the World of Tomorrow, who actually turned out to be more like Bilbo Baggins from Britain. Good guy though.





Despite Bilbo's body odor and almost losing my cookies on my first flight up, everything went pretty smooth. Towards the end of the day, things were winding down when an amazing thing happened. A little Korean man hobbled his way out to the runway with a parachute, and what appeared to be a large fan. A few glorious moments later, the Fanman had manifested right in front of my eyes. Here he is motoring his way into the sunset.



Oh fanman. Is there anything you can't do?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So proud boy! You're almost as cool as Bry-dog now.

NEUF! said...

BAGO!

your writing is fantastic! but your activities are just as stupid as they were at p town. like some folks like to say, "you're the smartest dumb kid i ever met." i ain't never getting in a plane with your drunk ass behind the wheal! put i will play peep wars in the microwave anytime. hopefully soon.

NEUF